Heres our daily dose of WTF Fun Facts About Technology.
9. Google has found GPA’s and test scores to be worthless
Google has found GPA’s and test scores to be “worthless as a criteria for hiring”; they have teams where 14% of their employees haven’t gone to college
8. It used to take a year to sell 10 million iPhones.
Apple just did it with the iPhone 6 in a weekend.
7. Apple got the idea of a desktop interface from Xerox.
Later, Steve Jobs accused Gates of stealing from Apple. Gates said, “Well Steve, I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”
6. When Google Introduced Gmail, people thought its a joke.
When Gmail was introduced with an unbelievable 1GB free storage in 2004, Hotmail only offered 2MB. Google announced Gmail on April 1st, and wrote a punny and unprofessional press release, tricking many into thinking it was an April’s fool joke.
5. Apple doesn’t ship products, they all fly first class.
When it comes to shipping large cargo, companies choose ships for cheaper prices, but Apple uses Cathay Pacific’s freight service to cut down on delivery times.
4. Google uses android phones to calculate traffic.
Google Maps calculates traffic by tracking how fast Android devices are moving on the road
3. India’s first satellite was transported on an ox-cart
In 1981 India launched a satellite that was transported on an ox-cart, with the rocket parts carried on the back of bicycles.
2. ATM’s had originally 6 digit PINs
ATM PINs were originally intended to have six digits, but have four because the inventor’s wife said she could only remember that many
1. When Google is more powerful than NASA.
A single Google search requires more computing power than it took to send Neil Armstrong and eleven other astronauts to the moon.